Engineering (AQA GCSE)
Students will be expected to complete 2 units for their controlled assessment coursework. Unit 1 (Design and Communication) will involve research, design and develop tasks on the theme of ‘Bicycle Security System’. Unit 2 (Manufacturing and Engineered Product) will be a make task and will involve, planning the manufacture of a clamping device to given engineering drawings. The final product will be scientifically tested and evaluated against the original given intentions. Collectively the controlled assessment tasks are worth 60% of the GCSE. The remaining 40% will be covered in the 1 hour course exam.
In the exam (40%) students experience:
· Section A - A Product Study section (based on information made available in a Preparation Sheet)
· Section B - Manufacturing and Materials.
Please click here to view some of the past papers for this GCSE. Unit 1 is the exam paper and you will also find a mark scheme for each paper.
Revision resources online
|The Warren||This site contains excellent links to some key topics including: materials; manufacturing and processes.|
|BBC Bitesize: Engineering||There is not much information here but some of the video clips are useful.|
|Joining materials||Excellent video resource that is part of a Youtube series.|
|Methods of production||Excellent video resource that is part of a Youtube series.|
|Types of metals||Excellent video resource that is part of a Youtube series.|
|Joining metals||Excellent video resource that is part of a Youtube series.|
|Metal processes and finishes||Excellent video resource that is part of a Youtube series.|